History of Incline Village, Nevada
Established in 1882 with a post office opening February 7, 1884.
Sierra Nevada Wood and Lumber Company
The Sierra Nevada Wood and Lumber Company (SNW&L) was a logging company that operated on the northeast side of Lake Tahoe at what is today known as Incline Village, which was named after the SNW&L incline railway that served the area. Timber was required for the mines during the mining boom in the late 1800s of the nearby Comstock Lode in Virginia City. The timber around Lake Tahoe was placed on the incline railway where it was taken up 1,400 feet (430 m) and then dropped by a gravity flume down the western side of mountain to a 3000 ft tunnel to Carson City.